Is the Peace Corps a development organization or a cultural exchange program? This question was posed to all of us by our Country Director on our first day of training and the answer is inevitably both.
The mission of the Peace Corps includes the promotion of world peace and friendship. For any individuals, children, or families interested in becoming involved in the achievement of this mission, I have compiled a wish list of useful items:
1) A letter from a child to a child (please include…sender’s name(s), age(s), grade(s), message to an international friend and description of self, your mailing address (consider also including a US map with your location starred), your Email) You can scan and email this directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org for faster responses!!
2) Books (for all ages and levels, however especially children’s storybooks and learning-to-read books)
3) Educational Toys (appropriate for babies thru middle school students)
4) Any other items related to education or unique to American culture
5) Donate to current Peace Corps Volunteer projects! Peruse the website: donate.peacecorps.gov and contribute to a project that sparks your interest.
Please address any letters or packages to:
Sarah Jean Byce, Peace Corps Volunteer
OPAG Office of the Provincial Government
Odiongan, Romblon, Philippines 5505
Please email or comment with the tracking number of any large packages. Mail to and from the Philippines is rather unpredictable. Some letters appear in a matter of weeks while others take months with no discernible pattern. Whenever possible, I will try to send replies from the recipients of your letters and gifts.